Founded in 2022, Dirtroad Organizing is a 501(c)4 non-profit that empowers rural people to build power for a resilient, equitable, and democratic future.
We support local organizing, provide trainings, cultivate grassroots leadership, and offer resources for community change.
We combat ideological polarization and increase civic and electoral engagement for issues that are important to us through face-to-face conversations rooted in shared values, listening, respect, personal stories, democratic values, and empathy.
"Clearly, Maxmin knows how to win in rural America — and she can teach vital lessons about persuading those supposedly unreachable voters."
- Katrina vanden Heuvel, The Washington Post // January 11, 2022
"Let’s follow the example of Maine’s state Sen. Chloe Maxmin. Let’s ask for her advice. Let’s go to rural voters and show them we care. Let’s talk about the issues they care about."
- Lanny Davis, The Hill // January 13, 2022
"When I asked about her approach to politics, Maxmin told me rural communities are moral communities that respond more to personal stories and values than to specific policies. Building trusting relationships is the key. This takes time and effort and demands humility and a willingness to learn."
- Robert Reich // January 15, 2022
What We Offer
In our first year, we are running a targeted pilot program in Maine called the Maine Rural Organizing Program. In addition, we'll be trying our best to support work in other states. Our work focuses on building community power by providing direct organizing support, trainings, coaching, and community events. Below is an overview of what we offer.
Please reach out if you'd like to work with us! We'll also be adding more content to this website as we build our work.
- Rural Canvassing 101.
- How to Train Volunteers for Rural Canvasses.
- Deep Canvassing: how to have real, authentic, and meaningful conversations with rural voters.
- Universe Creation.
- Media and Mail.
- Public Presence: Social Media and Signs.
- If you need training not listed here, we’ll work with you to create a training that serves your needs.
We offer 1-1 coaching for rural organizers.
Need help navigating the VAN? Creating a door-knocking universe? We can help!
- The core of rural organizing is listening. We’ve created a deep canvassing training to learn and practice this technique..
- Are you starting your own organization? Running a campaign? Leading a group? We can help you develop leadership skills such as facilitation, organization development, fundraising, and more.
Are you starting your own organization? Running a campaign? Leading a group? We can help you develop leadership skills such as facilitation, organization development, fundraising, and more.